Thursday, June 12, 2014

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Original Atria cover 2012
New Atria Cover April 2013
Rating: ★★★★ stars
Date published: September 18th, 2012
Publisher: Atria Books
Synopsis: Layken's father died suddenly, leaving her to gather every ounce of strength to be a pillar for her family, in order to prevent their world from falling apart. Now her life is taking another unexpected turn...

Layken's mother gets a job which leads to an unwanted move across the country. However, a new home means new neighbours... and Layken's new neighbour is the very attractive Will Cooper.

Will has an intriguing passion for slam poetry, and a matching passion for life. The two feel an irresistible attraction but are rocked to the core when a shocking revelation brings their romance to a screeching halt. Layken and Will must find a way to fight the forces that threaten to tear them apart...or learn to live without each other.


What I Thought:



Let's start off with how I missed an amazing opportunity. It's August of 2012 and I'd just read The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines.  I loved the book and went online to see what else she'd written.  It turns out she was going to be in my neighborhood for the Decatur Book Festival and I was going to go meet her.  What does that have to do with Slammed and Colleen Hoover? Guess who was in that booth signing books too?  That's right Colleen.  I missed out on meeting her and getting an indie version of Slammed.  If only I'd had the presence of mind to meet all the other authors under that tent.  Anyhow, that's coulda, woulda, shoulda but lets not dwell on that.

Slammed was unbelievably amazing.  If you haven't read this book yet, you need to.  It's a masterpiece.  Colleen has somehow written a YA/NA book that transcends genres.  Anyone from the age of 13 and up can read this book.  

I've never really been a big fan of poetry.  There are a handful of poems that I absolutely love and they're about the only ones I can tolerate.  I can't begin to tell you how astonished and amazing the poetry in Slammed is.  All of it is Colleen's original compositions.  She's not only an amazing writer, but an amazing poet, and now lyricist as well.  (That's a reference to her 7th book Maybe Someday.) 

Layken and Will also took me by surprise.  I wasn't expecting to like them so much.  I was hesitant to like Lake in the beginning but once it became clear what her circumstances were, I changed my mind.  Plus the shock she got when she realized she and Will might not be able to be together floored me!  I really thought I was experiencing her agony.  Will was just...sigh.  I adored Will and felt his pain at finding out things weren't going to go as expected but also wanted to smack him in the back of his head by trying to "fix" things.  Why do guys always do things for the "better" of their significant others without clueing them in or asking if that's what they want?  Anyhow, I know many of you are like why aren't you really talking about the book? Well not everyone has read it (weird right?) and so I don't want to give anything away to anyone who hasn't.  

Since then Colleen has written seven more books, of which one will be published in August, and she's working on book nine at the moment.  I can honestly say, each of her books has been amazing.  Each story is uniquely hers and I never fail to laugh and cry.  I wasn't expecting to love Slammed as much as I did.  I wasn't expecting to laugh and cry, to want more, but I did.  I maybe kicking myself for not meeting Colleen in 2012, but I will never regret reading her books.


Purchase links:

About Colleen Hoover
I love music. LOVE music. Namely The Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Pink, Eminem. I have eclectic taste? If you have any recommendations, send them my way!

I'm addicted to diet pepsi and could tell you in a taste-test which restaurant it came from. It's a serious addiction, I tell you. 

I get stoked whenever I get a message from goodreads saying I have a new friend request...so request me, dangit! 

If you want to know when I have new books out or just want to be inundated by random, pointless blog posts, follow me at www.colleenhoover.com 

Avoid my Twitter at all cost. It's propaganda. https://twitter.com/colleenhoover


*A copy was received from the publisher for review.  All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any manner for them.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

About